2021 GE HAARLEM
Dating back to 1320, this former mental health institution is now home to the national psychiatry museum: an initiative driven by seven psychiatric hospitals.
National museum of psychiatry
With a focus less on exhibits and more on experiences and opinions, this intriguing museum aims to show how the line between sanity and madness can often be very thin indeed. Het Dolhuys (an antiquated word for what we now know as a mental health institution) offers visitors a fascinating insight into how society has dealt with ‘lunacy’ over the years. See what life was like for patients of yesteryear in the 16th-century patient’s cells (still fully intact), view exhibitions and take the ‘How Normal are You?’ test.
A printed museum guide is available in Dutch, English and German.
- every Mondayclosed
- every Tuesdayfrom 10:00 to 17:00
- every Wednesdayfrom 10:00 to 17:00
- every Thursdayfrom 10:00 to 21:00
- every Fridayfrom 10:00 to 17:00
- every Saturdayfrom 12:00 to 17:00
- every Sundayfrom 12:00 to 17:00
- Koningsdag, Eerste Kerstdag en Nieuwjaarsdag gesloten. Tijdens de Open Monumentendagen geopend op: zaterdag van 12.00 -17.00 uur en zondag van 12.00 - 17.00 uur.